On Tuesday, December 16, members of the Painting Bohemia community hosted an event at Fordham University for students to come experience the works of Donald Glover a.k.a. Childish Gambino.
After a presentation by Liam Paris and Molly Boyd, students listened to album, read the screenplay, and watched videos associated with Gambino’s project, Because the Internet. For those of you who could not attend, here is a breakdown of how to experience this collection of art and explore more of Glover’s work.
- Read the tweeted scene that precedes the short film:
- Watch the short film that comes before the screenplay: Clapping for the Wrong Reasons
- Read the screenplay. (Typically hosted at becausetheinter.net/ the site is currently empty due to the blackout in which Glover is participating in support of the #BlackLivesMatter campaign. For now, you can download it from Dropbox.)
- As you read the screenplay, listen to the album. The script will tell you when to start playing each song.
- As you read and listen, watch the associated videos when they arise. (The script on Glover’s website has the videos already in place. For now, here is a compilation video on Youtube.)
For the most part, this should catch you up to speed in the story of ‘The Boy.”
You can also the following music videos for tracks on the album (these don’t necessarily relate to The Boy):
Telegraph Ave (Oakland)
Check out Donald’s standup comedy (also available for free in pieces on Youtube and in full on Netflix): Weirdo
Watch this (and other) interviews to hear Donald, himself, talk about Because the Internet and his art in general: Subtv Meets Childish Gambino
Keep tabs on this (and other) subreddits to stay on the cutting edge of what’s happening with Donald, Childish, and the story of The Boy: https://www.reddit.com/r/donaldglover
Explore Donald’s various websites (currently out of use #BlackLivesMatter):
Read Liam Paris’ article on the multimedia interactive nature of the work:
Read Jackie Park’s article on Gambino’s engagement with race politics:
HAVE FUN EXPLORING THE WORLD OF DONALD GLOVER/CHILDISH GAMBINO/THE BOY!
All screenplay, music, and video rights belong to Donald Glover.
Event photos courtesy of Louie Dean Valencia.